Changshu Expats Association
Welcome to Changshu Expat Association Forum ...
Please don't forget to register so we can forward you all the news and events that will be held ...
Keep in touch ...

HELPING OUT FOREIGNERS WITH TIPS, LOCATIONS AND OTHER USEFUL INFO ABOUT CHANGSHU CITY IN JIANGSU PROVINCE

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:36 pm

I am Spider, a man new to Changshu, but not new to China.

That is all of the information that I am going to post, until I become convinced that this is not an abandoned expat site.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:32 pm

spiderboenz wrote:
I am Spider, a man new to Changshu, but not new to China.

That is all of the information that I am going to post, until I become convinced that this is not an abandoned expat site.

Hi Spider,

Welcome to Changshu and not to China ;-)

Not an abandoned website or more a forum ...

It is just that most people in the Changshu community, don't understand that a forum works by sharing information and asking question, rather than just waiting for other people to post details or activities ...

If you want to talk or meet up to see how to make things come alive again, I am more than interested ...

Matt
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://changshu.freeforumsblog.com
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:16 am

Well, you could make a wechat/qq/facebook page promoting it. Videos on Youku, things to get people aware that this exists. I only stumbled on it by accident, and if it's easier to find, more people will use it, and it will become more active.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pirx
Humble Narrator
Humble Narrator

Location : Guomao Apartments West Tower, 176 Zhujiang Road, Changshu

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:14 am

Even if you were making chat groups in WeChat, QQ, etc., they would be quiet, same as the linked-in group. There is no commercial interest driving this forum, and long-noses in Changshu pretty quickly adapt to the laid back, private way of life of the Changshunese.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:03 am

pirx wrote:
Even if you were making chat groups in WeChat, QQ, etc., they would be quiet, same as the linked-in group. There is no commercial interest driving this forum, and long-noses in Changshu pretty quickly adapt to the laid back, private way of life of the Changshunese.

I totally agree with you about the chat groups in question ... It won't change a thing ...

Though, I still am present in other forums (in China) in contribution and it is the spirit of its members that make it live ...

So just wondering :
- Is the community in Changshu too small to make people what to participate ?
- How come in other places people want to give a little of their time and presence in their city, and therefore share info, events, etc ...

Like you said, it is not a commercial site, I have nothing to sell ...

I just thought (maybe wrongly) that expats or future expats might want such a tool to get and share info ...
Back to top Go down
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:02 pm

I don't know.
I DO know that Kunming also has a very small expat community, but they have a thriving online forum.
Maybe it has something to do with Changshu's proximity to Suzhou, Shanghai, and Nanjing. There is "civilization" relatively close, whereas Kunming, as the provincial capital, does not have any alternatives within acceptable travel distance.

I think that it is a combination of a lack of exposure (with more than 3000 expats in Changshu, you would think that there would be more than 250 people on here) and the fact that the life of an expat in China is relatively that of a transient. People come here for work/travel/study for a year or two then move to another city/back home.

OR... The people who choose to come to Changshu are extremely antisocial.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:11 pm

spiderboenz wrote:

OR... The people who choose to come to Changshu are extremely antisocial.

Indeed, could be a reason : always much easier to take than to give
Back to top Go down
pirx
Humble Narrator
Humble Narrator

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:54 pm

OK, Gentlemen, because of popular demand here my suggestion:

Lets make a massive drink-out at the New Brewery close to McAvoid, next to Langham Bar, opposite the hilariously grotty sauna temple on Taishan Road, tonight form 20:00. Their mini-pizza is good, and drinks are adequate. The owner/operator is a former English teacher from New York.

If not tonight, suggest next week Wednesday.

If anyone prefers Karaoke, there is Topaz Karaoke in the same block of buildings, geared towards our best only friends form Japan, perfectly cultivated, but no English song menu. Never mind, can sing all night Xiao Pingguo... and Mama-san will look after our well-being.

How about it?

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 pm

Possibly, if I can receive the address in English, Chinese characters (for the GPS), and in pinyin (so I can put it into the GPS). I don't know where any of those places are.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:11 pm

pirx wrote:
OK, Gentlemen, because of popular demand here my suggestion:

Lets make a massive drink-out at the New Brewery close to McAvoid, next to Langham Bar, opposite the hilariously grotty sauna temple on Taishan Road, tonight form 20:00. Their mini-pizza is good, and drinks are adequate. The owner/operator is a former English teacher from New York.

If not tonight, suggest next week Wednesday.

If anyone prefers Karaoke, there is Topaz Karaoke in the same block of buildings, geared towards our best only friends form Japan, perfectly cultivated, but no English song menu. Never mind, can sing all night Xiao Pingguo... and Mama-san will look after our well-being.

How about it?

Cheers!

Great idea ...

Unfortunately, i can't tonight on business trip and next week, I am in Europe ...

I'll be back on October 27th ...

So if any night out after that date, I am in ... I'll spread the words to others not on this forum ...

For the KTV, not my cup of tea or glass of wine tongue
Back to top Go down
pirx
Humble Narrator
Humble Narrator

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:55 pm

spiderboenz wrote:
Possibly, if I can receive the address in English, Chinese characters (for the GPS), and in pinyin (so I can put it into the GPS).  I don't know where any of those places are.

You are in urgent need of a bicycle tour around Changshu! Buy a mountain bike. After one day you got it all covered, the city, the lakes and the mountain. Only up Yushan mountain I would suggest to take the bus, I would do that neither on a bike nor on foot.

Let us wait until our moderator supreme is back from Merry Old Europe and brings along some more Changshunese. I will also bring some nice guys, one of whom is on a no-alc diet this week.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm

What are the advantages of buying a bike vs using the orange public bikes? Don't know how if I'm ok with buying a bike in a place that does not sell replacement parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:17 pm

spiderboenz wrote:
What are the advantages of buying a bike vs using the orange public bikes?  Don't know how if I'm ok with buying a bike in a place that does not sell replacement parts.

Seems the procedure to obtain the right as a foreigner to use them, isn't that easy ...

Also, not the best bike if you want to wander around the city and a little further ...
Back to top Go down
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Really?
My supervisor just handed me one of the cards when I arrived.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:22 pm

spiderboenz wrote:
Really?
My supervisor just handed me one of the cards when I arrived.

Of couse, if your department or your company has the cards already, it makes it a little easier indeed ...

But if you need to do the procedure yourself, it isn't ...

I haven't tried myself (have a bike and a car as well as my two legs) but other foreigners without a supervisor who handed them a card, had a hell of a time ...

Back to top Go down
pirx
Humble Narrator
Humble Narrator

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:01 pm

All of the shops sell replacement parts. If you value time as money, it is cheaper and faster to have the shop fix it. I bought a Giant three years ago and the only adjustment/fixing ever needed was the gear shift. I admit that I may need new tires, though....

The advantage is the gear shift. The orange ones are good for a few kilometers only.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:14 pm

All that I ever need to go is a few kilometers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pirx
Humble Narrator
Humble Narrator

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:22 pm

OK, some people like to explore, others not. I only understood the geography of Shanghai after cycling my way around and getting lost several times. Changshu is tiny in comparison, but even here you can get lost at times. The other day I did a morning ride that was supposed to take an hour. One wrong turn that I noticed too late and I was out for 3 hours. I thoroughly enjoyed that, actually.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:51 pm

Explorer is definately a title that I hold.
Unfortunately, so is Disabled Veteran.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattcoq
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:17 am

Back in the country but not back in town ...

Running off to Zhejiang province this week and will be in Hebei the week after ...

Will keep you posted if I have a evening free to meet up with you all ...
Back to top Go down
Tal
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: New in Changshu   Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:49 am

Hello everyone,

My name is Tal, and i'll be joining you guys in about one week.
I'm 32 years old, single guy from Tel Aviv, Israel.
Relocating to China for business.
I heard that in this area of China, anywhere else than Shanghai is "hardcore" for a westerner, so i hope you guys might help me make a soft landing..
I'll arive in Changshu at the 23rd of November, and immidiatly start looking for an apartment.
so for know i would be happy to get your advice as to what area in Changshu will be best for me to live in.
what's the area with the most expats and nightlife?
any other advice would be great!

Cheers,
Tal
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spiderboenz
Little Changshunese

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:10 am

Good luck! I have never been in a place with more unfriendly, parasitic people than Changshu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!   

Back to top Go down

Presenting, fresh from NanJing... Spider!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1